Re: [O] Suppress visibility cycling for a specific tree

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [O] Suppress visibility cycling for a specific tree
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 16:17:07 +0200

On Jul 25, 2011, at 3:24 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On Jul 25, 2011, at 2:13 PM, suvayu ali wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is it possible to suppress visibility cycling for a particular tree?
>> What I am looking for is the behaviour of an ARCHIVEd tree. I have some
>> general guidelines and local config in this tree that I don't want to
>> see usually but since it is technically not archived information I am
>> looking for an alternate means to a similar goal.
>>
>> Could I specify a special tag of my own and define the behaviour I want
>> with elisp? Where do I start looking for this?
>
> Archived trees are kept closed by the function
> `org-cycle-hide-archived-subtrees', which is called by
> `org-cycle-hook'.  You could define a tag of your choice
> and then put a function into org-cycle-hook that uses a let form
> to bind `org-archive-tag' to the chosen tag and then calls
> `org-cycle-hide-archived-subtrees' to do the work.
>
> Hope this gets you on the path.

Actually, the true zen[1] way to do this is to use ACHIVE anyway
and change your brain to accept that ARCHIVE does not mean the
thing is archived at all.  Or do

(setq org-archive-tag "KEEPCLOSED")

:-)

The side effect of this is that stuff in these trees ill never
contribute t the agenda - but if it is setup stuff, you
probably do not care....

These solutions will work if the subtree does not contain stuff
relevant for agendas.....

- Carsten

[1] The book of knowledge defines Zen as:
Zen emphasizes experiential wisdom in the attainment of
enlightenment. As such, it de-emphasizes theoretical knowledge
in favor of direct self-realization through meditation and dharma practice....