Re: [O] org unavailable in ELPA package manager

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: [O] org unavailable in ELPA package manager
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 19:26:08 +0530

Max Roberts-Zirker <address@hidden> writes:

> Thanks for sticking with me Jambunathan,
>
> C-h v package-archives RET reports no match also, though there do
> appear to be commands: package-archive-base,
> package-archive-upload-base, package-archive-version, and
> package-archive-contents.

C-h v package-archives MUST report something like as below.

(("gnu" . "http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/";))

> Also, when I run M-x package-list-packages, it connects me to the
> tromey.com site and provides a list of available packages (INCLUDING
> ORG in red, which I assume means it is already installed.)

You aren't following the instructions correctly.

,----
| If you are using package.el from tromey.com then you need to delete it
| from load-path.
`----

Use M-x locate-library RET package RET

and delete those package.el and package.elc files before installing the
package.el file that the FAQ points to.

Jambunathan K.