Re: [O] Any work on Java ME?

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [O] Any work on Java ME?
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 16:32:27 +0200

XeCycle <address@hidden> writes:

Hi!

>>> Java ME seems more widely supported, has anyone worked on that?
>>>
>>> Also, it's painful to input text on iOS devices, and text is all of
>>> Org mode.
>>
>> I don't understand.  Can you be more explicit?
>
> Sorry.  I mean to port Org mobile to Java ME platform --- has anyone
> worked on that?  Now Org mobile is on iOS platform, and we need Apple
> devices to run it.  I don't have one, but my phone supports Java ME.
> Also Android supports Java ME.

To my best knowledge, Andoid does not support Java ME.  It uses a
flavour of Java, but not ME.  From wikipedia:

  Android
  =======

  The Android open-source software stack consists of Java applications
  running on a Java-based, object-oriented application framework on top
  of Java core libraries running on a Dalvik virtual machine featuring
  JIT compilation.

  Java Platform, Micro Edition

  There are more than 2.1 billion Java ME enabled mobile phones and
  PDAs,[2] but it is becoming old technology as it is not used on any of
  today's newest mobile platforms (e.g. iPhone, Android, Windows Phone
  7, MeeGo, BlackBerry's new QNX).

And there is already MobileOrg for Android:

  https://github.com/matburt/mobileorg-android/wiki/

Bye,
Tassilo