Re: [O] Using org-mode for recipes (i.e. cooking)

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] Using org-mode for recipes (i.e. cooking)
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 13:03:46 -0600

>> First, I use org-mode to keep my recipes. Here is the format I use:
>
> [...]
>
>> and so on. I have some methods to convert units back & forth from
>> metric & narrow a recipe to ingredients only, though I think this is
>> probably not really useful. I would be happy to provide this if you
>> like.
>
> Sorry this is a little old, but if you're still willing to provide some
> functions, I'd like to see them! I'm using org mode to keep track of
> baking recipes, which are traditionally recorded as ratios of ingredient
> weights, which are then used to calculate an actual recipe based on how
> much dough you want. Any food for thought regarding programmatic
> manipulation of properties would be very welcome…

+1

I also use Org-mode to hold recipes.  Currently I just hold the
ingredients in a standard list with informally specified amounts, but I
would be interested to see other approaches and any functions for
automatic recipe manipulation.

Incidentally I also do some baking, and while I don't currently measure
my ingredients by weight I would be interested to see (or help
brainstorm) a mechanism for reifying percentages into actual weights.

Cheers -- Eric

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/