Re: [O] Point jumps when changing timestamps

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: Re: [O] Point jumps when changing timestamps
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2011 13:45:56 -0500

> Matt Lundin <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> A bit more generous org-at-timestamp-p does have some practical
>> advantages: it can save cursor movement when navigating an org document.
>> For instance, when navigating the following headline, I would typically
>> type C-n C-e to go to the end of the scheduled line. That puts the
>> cursor at the point directly after the scheduled timestamp:
>>
>> * A headline
>>   SCHEDULED: <2011-08-04 Thu>
>>                              ^ i.e., here
>>
>> Having to move the cursor backwards one point would add a little bit of
>> inconvenience.
>
> C-c C-s on the headline lets you modify more quickly the
> time-stamp. I may be missing the point, but that position has no
> particular interest.

I realize that I can change a scheduled timestamp with C-s C-s, and I
often do. But I often find myself needing to move appointments such as
the following back and forward a day:

* An appointment
  <2011-08-04 Thu +1w>

If I am on the headline, the easiest way (for me) to navigate to the
headline is C-n C-e. Then I can type S-left or S-right and quickly move
through the dates; the cursor, moreover, will be in a convenient
position for typing RET and adding a line of notes. This, for me, is a
bit more convenient than typing C-n C-3 C-f or C-s <, etc.

>> I believe the current behavior of org-at-timestamp-p is consistent with
>> that of the *-at-point functions.
>
> Agreed. But, on the other hand, it isn't consistent with any similar Org
> function. Try `org-footnote-at-reference-p' just after a footnote
> reference or `org-context' just after a link. In both cases, point will
> be considered outside of the element.

True. (Thanks for pointing out org-context! I wasn't aware of that
function.) From a UI perspective, however, I would suggest that a bit
looser behavior adds some convenience to org-mode. For instance C-c C-o
will currently open a link if the cursor is at the point before or after
it.

  [[http://www.google.com]]
 ^ here                    ^ here

Best,