Re: [O] org-paste-subtree and org-refile broken

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: Re: [O] org-paste-subtree and org-refile broken
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 09:03:40 -0500

David Maus <address@hidden> writes:

> At Sat, 13 Aug 2011 09:25:19 +0200,
> David Maus wrote:
>>
>> Hi Matt,
>> Hi Sebastien,
>>
>> I pushed a temporary workaround to master that should fix the problem
>> with refile and capture. Both depend on a buggy behavior of
>> org-paste-subtree, i.e. pasting a subtree *above* the target headline
>> when called with point at the beginning of the target headline.
>
> If you have already pulled, please pull again. Had confused something,
> fixed now.

Thanks for fixing this! Refiling is working well now. Could you explain
what you mean by a "buggy behavior of org-paste-subtree." AFAIK,
org-paste-subtree has always pasted the subtree above the current tree
if the point is at the beginning of the headline. Is there something in
the documentation that suggests that this should not be the case? I
believe this behavior is consistent with
org-insert-heading-respect-content, which inserts a new heading above
the current heading if called at the beginning of a headline. For
instance, in the following example...

* One
  Text in one
* Two
  Text in two
** Subpoint two
   Text in subpoint two.
* Three
  Text in three
* Four
  Text in four

If I kill headline four, move the point to the beginning of headline
three, and yank (i.e., call org-paste-subtree), I get the following,
which seems to me correct:

* One
  Text in one
* Two
  Text in two
** Subpoint two
   Text in subpoint two.
* Four
  Text in four

* Three
  Text in three

Similarly, if I place the cursor on three and call
org-insert-heading-respect-content (M-RET), the new headline is inserted
above the headline:

* One
  Text in one
* Two