Re: [O] A new module for Org-mode: Org-X

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: [O] A new module for Org-mode: Org-X
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 15:27:21 -0400

Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:

> I can easily see how this works with bug/issue trackers.  What I'm not so
> sure is how you imagine it to work with files.  For my part I'm hoping that
> it might be able to get some interface to the various bits and pieces I've
> bookmarked and sometimes put into local versions with the ScrapBook Firefox
> extension.

The backend gets to define what the parts of an entry are.  Some backends will
import actual content into the related Org entry, while others will only
import a link back to the original content.  This is what I would do for a
backend that monitors files within an "Inbox" directory, for example.

> I'd check source code for FIXME, not TODO.

Sure, this would be configurable through both a customization variable (for
setting default behavior), and through an inherited property (as part of the
backend context).

> If org-x-states is backend specific, why not let the backend define it?

It is defined, by the ox-org backend. :)  I imagine that very soon now, I'll
pay attention to SEQ_TODO and the usual Org variable, rather than having my
own custom variable for this.

> LZW: is there really nothing in Emacs that already does this? In any case it
> seems to belong into an own library and should probably be unbundled from
> org before long.

There's really not!  I wrote it because I imagine at some point wanting to
take a snapshot of the "state" of an entry, for the purpose of accelerating
certain backends, but I haven't yet found that use.  For now, it's just living
in ox-lzw so that it's under version control.  If it becomes useful, I'll
submit it to Emacs separately and ahead of Org-X.

John