Re: [O] missing todo's in agenda after emacs/org upgrade

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [O] missing todo's in agenda after emacs/org upgrade
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 12:33:47 +0200

On Aug 19, 2011, at 11:02 AM, address@hidden wrote:

> Good morning gents,
>
> I think you nailed it. Thanks!
>

> * Summary
> Having the todo list in a daily view is very convenient, but not provided
> out-of-the-box. The enabling of it used to be relatively simply with a single
> variable, but in more recent version it’s now reserved for org-savvy people.
> Hooray for
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-custom-agenda-commands.html

OK, I am attaching a patch proposal which will clean this up a bit.
It does:

- Clean up the variable name include-all, which is confusing
  for readers of the code
- Make `org-agenda-custom-commands' have a default value,
  which is a block that does put agenda and TODO list into
  one view.  Note that I have changed the sequence from Peter's
  proposal, I am putting the agenda first - this makes more sense,
  I think, and also reduces the likelihood that the cursor will be
  in the TODO list when you are trying to move through time.
- I have *not* changes the problem that trying to change time views
  in the TODO block will not work - this would have required
  more coding and would create undefined behavior in some block
  agendas.

HTH, please give me feed back.  Bastien, let me know if/when
I should push this change.

Cheers

- Carsten

> [...]
> All currently open TODO items:
>  minimal:    TODO Plumber to fix leak
>  minimal:    TODO RooStats tutorial
>  minimal:    TODO Analysis deadline
>  minimal:    TODO Read Dune
> Day-agenda (W33):
> Friday     19 August 2011
>               8:00...... ----------------
>              10:00...... ----------------
>              12:00...... ----------------
>              14:00...... ----------------
>  minimal:    15:00...... Deadline:   TODO Analysis deadline
>              16:00...... ----------------
>              18:00...... ----------------
>              20:00...... ----------------
>  minimal:    Sched.207x:  TODO RooStats tutorial
>

> ** Now with org 7.7, same emacs.
> emacs init file now loads a more recent version of org and sets
> org-agenda-include-all-todo:
> ======================== ~/.emacs-minimal ========================
> ;; use more recent org
> (add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name "~/.emacs.d/src/org/lisp"))
> (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.\\(org\\  |org_archive\\|txt\\)$" .
> org-mode))
> (setq org-agenda-files '("~/planning/minimal.org"))
> (require 'org-install)
> (require 'org-habit)
>
> ;;; expecting to get the TODO items in the daily agenda view!
> ;;;
> (setq org-agenda-include-all-todo t)
>
> (global-set-key "\C-ca" 'org-agenda)
>
> Now, the same `C-c a a’ yields
>
> ======================== Week view ========================
> Week-agenda (W33):
> Monday     15 August 2011 W33
> Tuesday    16 August 2011
> Wednesday  17 August 2011
> Thursday   18 August 2011
> Friday     19 August 2011
>               8:00...... ----------------
>               9:26...... now - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>              10:00...... ----------------
>              12:00...... ----------------
>              14:00...... ----------------
>  minimal:    15:00...... Deadline:   TODO Analysis deadline
>              16:00...... ----------------
>              18:00...... ----------------
>              20:00...... ----------------
>  minimal:    Sched.207x:  TODO RooStats tutorial
> Saturday   20 August 2011
> Sunday     21 August 2011
>
> ======================== Day view ========================
> Day-agenda (W33):
> Friday     19 August 2011
>               8:00...... ----------------
>              10:00...... ----------------
>              12:00...... ----------------
>  minimal:    15:00...... Deadline:   TODO Analysis deadline
>  minimal:    Sched.207x:  TODO RooStats tutorial
>
> No more TODO overview, even with org-agenda-include-all-todo set. Clearly,
> it’s not only deprecated, but completely ignored. Hence, it should be removed.
>

> I hope I’ve managed to better describe the problems I had :-)

- Carsten