Re: [O] LaTeX export of lists

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] LaTeX export of lists
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 20:59:25 +0200

address@hidden (Thomas S. Dye) writes:

> I've just browsed the Document Structure chapter of the Org-mode manual:
> paragraphs aren't mentioned!

They are in "11.1 Structural markup elements"

> I'm not trying to be pedantic here and hold out for the presence or
> absence of blank lines to indicate a paragraph break in Org-mode.  For
> the use case of lists set within a paragraph some other mechanism might
> be more appropriate.

I would suggest #+begin_latex #+end_latex for such specific needs
(paralist).

> But this circles back to the more general question of how paragraphs are
> indicated in Org-mode.  Is it the blank line alone, or the blank line and
> other mechanisms?

There is no strict definition of a paragraph in Org core, yet. That's
why every exporter comes out with its own.

Though, a blank line is definitely seen as a paragraph break, as any
paragraph starter. So, what are these paragraph starters? Here are some:
  - any line starting with #+, maybe indented. That includes keywords,
    blocks, comments...
  - fixed-width lines
  - items
  - headlines.

Now, defining a paragraph in Org wouldn't necessary be a bad thing for
exporters. This would just add information they could deliberately throw
away. That's why, again, keeping the exact number of blank lines is
important (for when they will throw the information away).

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou