Re: [O] git diff: hunk header config

From: Michael Brand
Subject: Re: [O] git diff: hunk header config
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 21:20:45 +0200

On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 23:47, suvayu ali <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 6:12 PM, Michael Brand
>> [...]
>> "@@ -12991,7 +12991,7 @@ (defun org-align-tags-here (to-col)"
>> instead of the current
>> "@@ -12991,7 +12991,7 @@ If ONOFF is `on' or `off', don't toggle but set to
>> thi"
>
> [...]
> To make this a server side setting, you would have to add .git/config
> and .gitattributes to the repo. But I think that is not correct as
> many users might have their own settings that will have to be remerged
> at every update.

According to the git manual there is a cleaner way for local changes:
- gitattributes(5) Manual Page:
  - "Attributes which should be version-controlled and distributed to
    other repositories (i.e., attributes of interest to all users)
    should go into .gitattributes files."
  - "If you wish to affect only a single repository (i.e., to assign
    attributes to files that are particular to one user’s workflow for
    that repository), then attributes should be placed in the
    $GIT_DIR/info/attributes file."
- git-config(1) Manual Page:
  - "$GIT_DIR/config: Repository specific configuration file." and
    "The .git/config file in each repository is used to store the
    configuration for that repository"
  - "~/.gitconfig: User-specific configuration file." and
    "$HOME/.gitconfig is used to store a per-user configuration as
    fallback values for the .git/config file."

For .gitattributes it seems to be ok to make it a versioned git repo
element. Proposal for the content (changed from first post):
#+begin_src
# This file is intended to be effective for all users of this repository.
# Use ".git/info/attributes" for changes specific to the local user(s).

*.el    diff=el
*.texi  diff=texinfo
#+end_src

For .git/config I am not sure if it can be made a versioned git repo
element. If not, I don't know how it can become part of the transfer
during git pull which it should be in any case. Proposal for the
content (changed from first post):
#+begin_src
# This file is intended to be effective for all users of this repository.
# Use "$HOME/.gitconfig" for changes specific to one user.

[core]
        repositoryformatversion = 0
        filemode = true
        bare = false
        logallrefupdates = true
[remote "origin"]
        fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*
        url = git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git
[branch "master"]
        remote = origin
        merge = refs/heads/master
[diff "el"]
        xfuncname = "^(\\(def[a-z]+ .+)$"
[diff "texinfo"]
        xfuncname = "^(@(sub)*section.*)$"
#+end_src

> What do you think? In any case, I think this would be a wonderful
> addition to org-faq.org on Worg.

What I would like is that the hunk headers of all future patches from
all contributers look like proposed. Without requiring them to change
their config now and with every new git clone. For me it is not enough
if only a few contributers that stumble upon this FAQ entry and then
even care about, change their config.

Michael