Re: [O] LaTeX export of lists

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] LaTeX export of lists
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 09:45:41 -1000

> address@hidden (Thomas S. Dye) writes:
>
>> I've just browsed the Document Structure chapter of the Org-mode manual:
>> paragraphs aren't mentioned!
>
> They are in "11.1 Structural markup elements"

Yes, somewhat incongruously.  To my mind, the markup elements are blank
lines and \\, not paragraphs.

>> I'm not trying to be pedantic here and hold out for the presence or
>> absence of blank lines to indicate a paragraph break in Org-mode.  For
>> the use case of lists set within a paragraph some other mechanism might
>> be more appropriate.

> I would suggest #+begin_latex #+end_latex for such specific needs
> (paralist).

Yes, but this solution misses the great pleasure and convenience of
working with Org-mode lists.  It is something I can live with if it
proves impractical to keep the current configuration, however.

>> But this circles back to the more general question of how paragraphs are
>> indicated in Org-mode.  Is it the blank line alone, or the blank line and
>> other mechanisms?
>
> There is no strict definition of a paragraph in Org core, yet. That's
> why every exporter comes out with its own.
>
> Though, a blank line is definitely seen as a paragraph break, as any
> paragraph starter. So, what are these paragraph starters? Here are some:
>   - any line starting with #+, maybe indented. That includes keywords,
>     blocks, comments...
>   - fixed-width lines
>   - items
>   - headlines.
>
> Now, defining a paragraph in Org wouldn't necessary be a bad thing for
> exporters. This would just add information they could deliberately throw
> away. That's why, again, keeping the exact number of blank lines is
> important (for when they will throw the information away).

Thanks very much for this, to me, clear explanation of the issue.  I'm
convinced that I've been able to make my points understood and will
happily use the Org-mode that you and others are so kind to develop,
with or without the ability to set Org-mode lists within paragraphs via
LaTeX.

All the best,
Tom

--
T.S. Dye & Colleagues, Archaeologists
735 Bishop St, Suite 315, Honolulu, HI 96813