Re: [O] Problem with exporting image to PDF

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Problem with exporting image to PDF
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 21:59:41 -0400

Thomas S. Dye <address@hidden> wrote:

> Toby <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am new to org-mode so really just trying to learn the ropes. If anyone
> > can help me figure out how to export images to PDF I would appreciate it as
> > I can't get it to work despite trying various methods in the .org file.
> >
> > 1. [[./images/1.png]]
> > 2. [[./images/1.eps]]
> > 3. #+LaTeX: \includegraphics[width=5em]{./images/1.eps}
> >
> > The above produce no graphics (or showing the link to the file) in the PDF
> > which is successfully created with C-c C-e d
> >
> > I have tried different classes (article and koma-article) such as:
> > #+LaTeX_CLASS: koma-article
> > #+LaTeX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [a4paper]
> >
> > I am using:
> > Debian Squeeze
> > GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
> > I have installed: texlive and texlive-latex-extra
> >
> > Thank you in advance for any suggestions on where I should be looking, or
> > further information I should be providing to help diagnose the problem.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Toby
> >

> Aloha Toby,
>
> Welcome to Org-mode.
>
> Typically, for questions like yours, you will need to provide something
> the Org-mode community calls an ECM, which is an acronym for a minimal
> complete example.  The example should fail to produce the results you
> expect, which you should specify, and it should contain as little other
> material as possible.  In your case you might want to share the ECM
> Org-mode file and the resulting .tex file.
>
> Out of the box, Org-mode uses pdflatex to create pdf from LaTeX source
> (although this can be modified).  Pdflatex does not accept eps files for
> graphic input, so this might have been part of your problem.  It does
> accept png files, though, so it appears something else might be going
> on.

It's probably the case that even though there is a processing error with
.eps files, in some circumstances, a PDF file *is* produced, but it's
just a skeleton and therefore does not properly render even the "good"
image.  If the OP deletes the .eps lines, the .png one will probably
work.

I say "probably", because in one of my experiments, I was able to
duplicate the OP's results and get no images rendered - but try as I
might, I cannot do it again :-) The .png image was rendered properly in
all other experiments, and I don't know what I did in the "successful"
(unsuccessful?) one.

In any case, when bafflement strikes, it's probably a good idea to do
the export in two steps: export to LaTeX and then compile the .tex file
on the command line or with AucTeX to PDF. Any errors raised will be
readily apparent - in particular, the .eps error with pdflatex.

Nick

PS. BTW, width=5em makes for a rather small image.