Re: [O] src blocks, listings package and captions

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] src blocks, listings package and captions
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 05:47:42 -1000

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Giles,
>
> Giles Chamberlin <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I'm using the listings package and org-version 7.4 to generate latex/pdf
>> output including source snippets.  I'd like to add captions: "Figure 1:
>> My code" and tried with the following to no avail:
>>
>> #+caption: My code
>> #+begin_src clojure
>>  ;; stuff
>> #+end_src
>>
>> Do I have to wrap this in \begin{figure}\caption{} or is there a simpler
>> way?
>
> Since captions make sense for figures, I think you have to wrap this
> in \begin{figure}\caption{}.  But maybe there is a way to automatically
> wrap source blocks into a caption-aware LaTeX environment -- Eric might
> give a more useful answer.
>
> Thanks,

Aloha Giles,

A caption-aware LaTeX environment is provided by the minted package.
If you use org-special-blocks, then you can wrap your source block in
#+BEGIN_listing ... #+END_listing.  You can get a caption and label by
also including something like this within the special block:

#+LATEX: \caption{The caption.}\label{fig:src_blk}

If you want to stick with the listings package, then you will need to
define a listing environment that mimics what the minted package does.
There are at least two ways to do this in LaTeX (and probably others).
One way is to use the float package and then do something like this:

    {\newfloat{listing}{h}{lol}
    \newcommand\listingscaption{Listing}
    \floatname{listing}{\listingscaption}
    \newcommand\listoflistingscaption{List of Listings}
    \providecommand\listoflistings{\listof{listing}{\listoflistingscaption}}
    \floatplacement{listing}{htb!}

hth,
Tom

--