[O] Library of Babel function

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: [O] Library of Babel function
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 08:33:26 -1000

Hi Eric,

The booktabs-notes function, below, is based on the booktabs function in
the library of Babel.  It takes a second table and adds it to the bottom
of the main table.  I use it to add multicolumn footnotes to the bottom
of the table.  There is also a switch that adds a linespace between the
main table and the notes table.  I think the function might be a useful
addition to the library of Babel.

I tried to design it to be a functional replacement for the booktabs
function, but don't trust my emacs-lisp (or other) programming skills.

All the best,
Tom

#+srcname: booktabs-notes
#+begin_src emacs-lisp :var table='((:head) hline (:body)) :var notes='() :var
align='() :var env="tabular" :var width='() :var lspace='() :noweb yes :results
latex
  (flet ((to-tab (tab)
                 (orgtbl-to-generic
                  (mapcar (lambda (lis)
                            (if (listp lis)
                                (mapcar (lambda (el)
                                          (if (stringp el)
                                              el
                                            (format "%S" el))) lis)
                              lis)) tab)
                  (list :lend " \\\\" :sep " & " :hline "\\hline"))))
    (org-fill-template
     "
    \\begin{%env}%width%align
    \\toprule
    %table
    \\bottomrule%spacer
    %notes
    \\end{%env}\n"
     (list
      (cons "env"       (or env "table"))
      (cons "width"     (if width (format "{%s}" width) ""))
      (cons "align"     (if align (format "{%s}" align) ""))
      (cons "spacer"    (if lspace "\\addlinespace" ""))
      (cons "table"
            ;; only use \midrule if it looks like there are column headers
            (if (equal 'hline (second table))
                (concat (to-tab (list (first table)))
                        "\n\\midrule\n"
                        (to-tab (cddr table)))
              (to-tab table)))
      (cons "notes" (if notes (to-tab notes) ""))
      )))
#+end_src

--
Thomas S. Dye