Re: [O] Bug: Babel: asymptote: erroneous conversion of heterogeneous-ty

From: András Major
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: Babel: asymptote: erroneous conversion of heterogeneous-typed table
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 10:42:45 +0000 (UTC)

> Why? You can always write an intermediary step to "stringify" every
> cell. Choose your language. Nick Dokos showed you one way.

Apparently, only if you set a global/per-user option in .emacs or suchlike,
which I think is a bad way of doing it.

> > Why isn't it possible to force ob-asymptote to make all cells strings?
>
> It is possible to force ob-asymptote to make all cells strings. But
> I don't think ob-asymptote should try that hard to compensate users'
> misuses of data types.

I don't think this is misuse in any way.  Consider a table which is a
result of your research:  the columns are the maker (e.g., "Mazda"), the
type (e.g., "MX-5"), engine displacement (a number), the mileage/fuel
consumption (a number), etc., and I want to create some asymptote plot
from this data.

If there is no way of doing this without requiring global/per-user
settings, then I think that something must be changed.

  András