Re: [O] Bug: Babel: asymptote: erroneous conversion of heterogeneous-ty

From: András Major
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: Babel: asymptote: erroneous conversion of heterogeneous-typed table
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 18:50:11 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Eric,

> Given that asymptote can not make use of heterogeneous tables, it seems
> that it would be easiest to simply silently converted any table
> containing a single string element to a table of all strings.  I've just
> applied your previous patch (thanks for the patch!).  If this proves
> confounding in the future we can always revisit the decision.

I've been away since my last post and now you've already applied a patch
-- wow!  Here's another thought though: change the behaviour of the :var
header argument such that you can specify a range of rows, columns, or
a rectangle just like in table references.  I agree that wildly mixing
cell types in a table should be a felony, but "mixing" them the way I'd
like to makes perfect sense.  You would then simply make more than one
:var to specify multiple subtables, each with its own type.  I think
this might be better than brute-forcing everything to string just so
that the asymptote program has to parse the values back to numbers.

What do you think?

  András