Re: [O] setting up org-remember

From: Pieter Praet
Subject: Re: [O] setting up org-remember
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 22:33:51 +0200

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 20:47:48 +0200, Renato <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 16:13:22 +0200
> "Sebastien Vauban" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Hi Renato,
> >
> > Renato wrote:
> > > Hello, I'm trying to set up org-remember, however I'm having some
> > > problems. I seem to miss the function org-remember-insinuate (No
> > > Match). However that function seems to be defined in
> > > org-remember.el.gz which is in /usr/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/org (and
> > > this path is in load-path).
> > >
> > > should I post somewhere my .emacs?
> > >
> > > I'm on archlinux, emacs version 23.3.1 and the org-mode shipped
> > > with it (6.33)
> >
> > If you can, try updating to Org 7.7 or something approaching.
> > Org-remember has been replaced by a very similar, but still different
> > set of variales/templates/etc., package called Org-capture.
>
> yeah, I've seen it (going through the compact guide for 7.7 which
> treats org-capture). But since I saw -on the org manual I think- that
> upgrading from org-remember to org-capture is rather painless, I was
> hoping to be able to stick to the org shipped with emacs. Archlinux
> doesn't provide binaries for "standalone" org and compiling it myself
> would make future updates more cumbersome - though I'll indeed go that
> route if I can't solve this issue in the next few days.

Seriously?  Not being bolted down to stale software is one of the main
reasons why people run Arch in the first place :D.

There's PKGBUILDs for both the stable [1] as well as the dev [2] version
in the AUR.  Using one of the "AUR Helpers" [3] (Clyde [4] is my personal
favourite) makes keeping up to date only slightly more "cumbersome"
than running `pacman -Syu'.

Even better, while Org *can* be compiled (or rather byte-compiled),
you don't *have* to:

  #+begin_src sh
    mdir -p ~/src
    git clone git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git ~/src/org-mode
  #+end_src

and stuff this in your `.emacs':

   #+begin_src emacs-lisp
    (add-to-list 'load-path "~/src/org-mode/lisp")
    (add-to-list 'load-path "~/src/org-mode/contrib/lisp")
    (require 'org-install)
  #+end_src

... and an occasional `cd ~/src/org-mode ; git pull' will be all you
need to stay on the cutting edge.

At the pace Org is evolving, running old code will surely cause you more
grief in the long run, so there's really no reason not to keep up to date.

> so, no idea on why I can't call org-remember-insinuate?

Sebastien covered this, but just in case, put this at the top of your `.emacs':

  #+begin_src emacs-lisp
    (setq debug-on-error t)
  #+end_src

... which will provide you with a much more informative error message.

> cheers,
> renato

Peace

--