Re: [O] org-bable and gnuplot

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] org-bable and gnuplot
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2011 12:13:24 -0600

Marvin Doyley <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> I am planning to use gnuplot to plot some data that I have in org table.
> Everything is set-up correctly and gnuplot is installed my mac.
> Unfortunately, when I run the following org file I get a zero byte file --
> everything seems to run ok, except nothing is written to the output file.
> Does anybody know what I am doing wrong ?
>
> #+tblname: testing
> | x |  y |
> |---+----|
> | 1 |  2 |
> | 2 |  4 |
> | 3 |  6 |
> | 4 |  8 |
> | 5 | 10 |
> | 6 | 12 |
> | 7 | 14 |
> | 8 | 16 |
> #+begin_src gnuplot :var data=testing :file output.eps :exports both
> set title "test"
> set auto x
> set style data histogram
> set style fill solid border -1
> set boxwidth 0.9
> plot data using 1:2
> #+end_src
>
> #+results:
> [[file:output.eps]]
> cheers

Hi Marvin,

I just tried your example locally, and I also got an empty .eps file.  I
then jumped to the *gnuplot* buffer where I saw the following.

,----
| gnuplot> data = "/tmp/babel-4592fc8/gnuplot-4592Pna"
| gnuplot> set term eps
|                   ^
|          unknown or ambiguous terminal type; type just 'set terminal' for a
list

| gnuplot> set output "output.eps"
| gnuplot> set title "test"
| gnuplot> set auto x
| gnuplot> set style data histogram
| gnuplot> set style fill solid border -1
| gnuplot> set boxwidth 0.9
| gnuplot> plot data using 1:2
|               ^
|          use 'set term' to set terminal type first
|
| gnuplot>
`----

so if your gnuplot is like my gnuplot then "eps" is not a known terminal
type.  I'd suggest trying the following.  Also, notice that I changed
your "plot" line -- histograms are not intuitive in gnuplot.

#+tblname: gnuplot-testing
| x |  y |
|---+----|
| 1 |  2 |
| 2 |  4 |
| 3 |  6 |
| 4 |  8 |
| 5 | 10 |
| 6 | 12 |
| 7 | 14 |
| 8 | 16 |

#+begin_src gnuplot :var data=gnuplot-testing :file output.eps :exports both
set term postscript
set title "test"
set auto x
set style data histogram