Re: [O] [calfw] Better use of space

From: SAKURAI Masashi
Subject: Re: [O] [calfw] Better use of space
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 11:11:17 +0900

Hi Rasmus,

I implemented simple multi line breaking.
Here is a screenshot.
http://twitpic.com/6gpgz7/full

I pushed the multiline branch on the github.
https://github.com/kiwanami/emacs-calfw/tree/multiline
(including some minor updating)

I have studied some line breaking algorithms.

- Word wrap - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_wrap
- Other implementations
  - Python implementation
  - Perl Text::Reflow
- The Knuth/Plass line-breaking Algorithm
  - http://defoe.sourceforge.net/folio/knuth-plass.html
- Some command line programs
  - fmt, groff

Then, I found that the complicated algorithms, such as 'Knuth/Plass
line-breaking Algorithm', are difficult to implement on the Emacs Lisp
efficiently, because the line breaking function is called many time
during rendering the view.  (I hope that Emacs support native
line-breaking function.)

So, I introduced a pluggable design for the line breaking algorithm
and I just implement simple line breaking code.  I will use this code
for a while and evaluate use-feeling.

If you have a time, will you check it out?
I would like to hear feeling from the not East Asians users,
using line breaking without no smart word-wrapping and hyphenation.

Thank you,
--
SAKURAI, Masashi (family, given)
address@hidden