Re: [O] Reminders with alarms

From: Jude DaShiell
Subject: Re: [O] Reminders with alarms
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 23:10:25 -0400 (EDT)

In debian, there's a cowsay package you can use to make the computer
speak.  Also packages that produce different types of beeps are
available.   So far as I now know, they would need to be run as part of
a bash script or the equivalent within emacs in order to work though.

On Wed, 7 Sep 2011, Martyn Jago wrote:

> Hi
>
> Stephen Nelson-Smith <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I'm just starting to explore orgmode.  I'm an experienced GTD-er (6
> > yrs) and have looked with interest at a few articles on using orgmode
> > for this.  The one area I can't seem to work out is how to set a
> > reminder with an alarm and attach it to an entry.
> >
> > Suppose I have an entry like:
> >
> > ** My project
> > *** My action 1 :home:
> > *** My action 2 :follow up:
> >
> > I would like to be able to set a reminder that makes a visible (and
> > maybe audible) alert - in say 4 hrs, 2 days, at 1530 next wednesday
> > etc.  I see that I can set schedules for when to start work, but I've
> > been unable to get it to remind me at all.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > S.
>
> I use the growl notification system (on MAC) along with todochiku.el for
> simple timer notification out of Emacs. Growl can be set to 'speak' the
> notification (not sure about other sounds).
>
> todochiku also works with (snarl/libnotify) on other OSs.
>
> The command todochiku-message allows you to add a notification to a hook
> such as org-timer-done-hook (in your init file)...

>  (defun mj-notify-timer-done ()
>   (todochiku-message "Title here" "Further text here"
>  (todochiku-icon 'bell)))
>  (add-hook 'org-timer-done-hook  'mj-notify-timer-done))
>
> Regards
>
> Martyn

Jude <address@hidden>
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet
of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's
got God on his side."
~ Bill Hicks