Re: [O] Org, latex and asymptote in a math project

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: [O] Org, latex and asymptote in a math project
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 19:46:55 +0530

> 2. At least for me, _by far_ the most common way of referring to a
>    floating element (table or figure) is immediately before or after the
>    latex code that defines the float. For this, having to generate a
>    unique label for the float has always been an overkill, and I have
>    wanted a way to just refer to the previous or next float in the
>    document. In org this could mean something like specifying
>    #+AUTOLABEL and then some way of referring to the labels of the next
>    and previous float (regardless of whether they would be automatically
>    generated labels or standard named labels). Any support for this? Any
>    ideas regarding the syntax?

May be you are actually suggesting that the LABELS[1] be generated
automagically for you in much the same way that footnote numbers are
generated.

In case of OpenDocumentFormat, one can have the references generated in
the "Above/Below" formats. This can be controlled purely by controlling
the exporting backend WITHOUT ADDING any new Orgmode syntax. I am not
much familiar with LaTeX. If I interpret what you are saying then you
are suggesting that you have some control over how a given exporter
generates label references.

HTML is really not print oriented (whatever that means). May be the
LABEL references \ref{LABEL} which looks to me to be LaTeX oriented
syntax be re-defined to more Org-link like.

Just my 2c,
Jambunathan K.

Footnotes:
[1]  I would like to view LABELS as below:

LABEL := CATEGORY:SEQNO

CATEGORY := string
SEQNO := [0-9]+ (not sure whether a period could be included)

CATEGORY could be used for Table, Illustration, Figure etc etc.