Re: [O] [bug] equations in latex equation environment with leading +/- m

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] [bug] equations in latex equation environment with leading +/- misinterpreted
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 20:02:16 +0100

> Hello,
>
> Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> the attached org file illustrates a problem with the latex exporter in
>> which any line within a \begin{equation}...\end{equation} that begins
>> with a + or - is interpreted as a list item.
>>
>> It's easy enough to avoid this problem by either reformatting the lines
>> in question or by enclosing the equation block in a LATEX org block.
>> Therefore, there's no urgency in addressing this bug.
>
> [...]
>
>> * equation with leading minus sign
>>   The following equation
>
>>   \begin{equation}
>>   \label{eq:test}
>>   y = 3 x
>>   - 5
>>   + 4
>>   \end{equation} illustrates a problem in \LaTex export where the
>>   leading arithmetic operators are interpreted as list entries.
>
> I understand your concern, but, as far as I can tell, that's not a bug.
>
> Lists have precedence over LaTeX snippets. In other words, you're asking
> to start a list here, and Org starts one.

Okay, I understand.  "Unintended behaviour" instead of "bug" ;-) but
behaviour that I can accept, especially as the easy solution is to
simply enclose the equation in a latex block:

* equation with leading minus sign
  The following equation
#+begin_latex
  \begin{equation}
  \label{eq:test}
  y = 3 x
  - 5
  + 4
  \end{equation}
#+end_latex

This works just fine and is probably for the best in any case.  Using a
latex block allows for latex specific editing (C-c ').  Should have done
this in the first place!

Sorry for the noise!

Thanks,
eric
--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.7 (release_7.7.282.g0037)