Re: [O] Overall organization/setup for org mode: Projects and Tasks

From: Olaf Dietsche
Subject: Re: [O] Overall organization/setup for org mode: Projects and Tasks
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 20:59:00 +0200

Hi Alan,

"Alan E. Davis" <address@hidden> writes:

> I've been using org-mode for a few years.  My agenda is cluttered with tasks
> that are weeks and even months past due.  I am "this close" to declaring
> "orgmode bankruptcy" and starting from scratch, except my current setup
> works so well for other things.   Might still do that, but I want to ask for
> ideas.

I (and many others) struggle too with becoming "organized". And usually
it's not a "tool bankruptcy", but the lack of a coherent system.

What helped me to some degree - and I'm still learning - was David
Allen's book "Getting Things DONE". You will find lots of information
about GTD in the internet (google, youtube) and at the orgmode website
<http://orgmode.org/worg/org-gtd-etc.html>. I also took lots of good
ideas and .emacs snippets from Bernt Hansen's website at:
<http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html>.

And although GTD is a pretty simple system once you get it, I suggest,
take the time and read the book (your library might have a copy) and
start slowly from there on.

> I stumble consistently over the distinction between projects and tasks.  I
> think there is not clear distinction, but I need to find a way to organize
> them so that, at least, agenda displays the day to day TODO tasks separated
> in a meaningful way from the long term projects that I need to remind myself
> of (and there are dozens of these).

Both projects and tasks result in actions, which have to be completed
eventually. So there's not really any difference in handling these,
besides maybe the number of single steps it takes to complete.

And finally, paraphrasing Pete Phillips in
<http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/4854>, there will be the
time, where you have to bite the bullet and "just do it".

Regards, Olaf