Re: [O] Collapsing tracked time?

From: Olaf Dietsche
Subject: Re: [O] Collapsing tracked time?
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 13:11:18 +0200

Steinar Bang <address@hidden> writes:

>> Take a look at the org-clock-into-drawer and org-log-into-drawer
>> variables:
>> http://orgmode.org/manual/Clocking-commands.html
>> http://orgmode.org/manual/Tracking-TODO-state-changes.html
>
>> Does this do what you want?
>
> The first URL does, or almost.  Clocking into a :LOGBOOK: drawer is what
> I want.  Or, at least: it's what I want for long running tasks with a
> lot of clocking in and out.
>
> I am not sure I want this behaviour across all clockings and all org
> files...?

You can set org-clock-into-drawer to a number, which is used as
threshold. When there are equal or more clocking entries, then they are
put into a drawer.

> After testing I have found out that:
>  - default behaviour on an emacs23 org-mode is to clock into a :LOGBOOK:
>    drawer if it exists
>  - I can set the org-clock-into-drawer variable to t, and then it will
>    create a :LOGBOOK: drawer when clocking in, and I can move the rest
>    of the timestamps into i
>  - My emacs23 org-mode doesn't have the CLOCK_INTO_DRAWER property, and
>    setting the LOG_INTO_DRAWER property on a subtree to t and always
>    (the values I tried) didn't have any effect on clocking
>
> If there had been a quick way to add a :LOGBOOK: drawer to a TODO item,
> I would have just used the current behaviour and inserted :LOGBOOK:
> drawers at need.
>
> Hm... I think the simplest way is to set org-clock-into-drawer to t in
> .emacs, and see how that behaviour suits me.

You can also set org-clock-into-drawer to a string (e.g. "CLOCKS"), then
this string is used instead of "LOGBOOK".

C-h v org-clock-into-drawer RET

gives the complete documentation.

Regards, Olaf