[O] org-bibtex: "TYPE" property conflicting with bibtex's "type" paramet

From: Lluís
Subject: [O] org-bibtex: "TYPE" property conflicting with bibtex's "type" parameter
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 21:46:05 +0200

The current org-bibtex code uses the value of the "TYPE" property for two
different purposes:

* identify the type of bibtex entry
* give a value to the "type" parameter in a bibtex entry

Using the "TYPE" property for both has the unfortunate effect that on an entry
type like "phdthesis" (which has an optional "type" parameter), the resulting
text contains the "phdthesis" text insteaad of the default "PhD thesis" text
produced by bibtex when the "type" parameter is not set.

For example, this:

#+bein_source org
* One Title
:PROPERTIES:
:TITLE: One Title
:TYPE: phdthesis
:AUTHOR: John Doe
:SCHOOL: University of Somewhere
:YEAR: 2011
:CUSTOM_ID: myid
:END:
#+end_source

results in the following bibtex entry:

#+begin_source bibtex
@phdthesis{myid,
  author =       {John Doe},
  title =        {One Title},
  school =       {University of Somewhere},
  year =         2011,
  type =         {phdthesis}
}
#+end_source

which is processed into the following text:

#+begin_source fundamental
[1] J. Doe. One Title. phdthesis, University of Somewhere, 2011.
#+end_source

instead of the desired:

#+begin_source fundamental
[1] J. Doe. One Title. PhD thesis, University of Somewhere, 2011.
#+end_source

The only way out I see is to use different properties for the bibtex entry type
and bibtex's "type" parameter. Preferably using a different property for
org-bibtex to identify the entry type (e.g., "BIBTEX_TYPE").

Thanks a lot,
   Lluis

PS: I'm not subscribed to the list, so please put me in CC if you want me to
read you.

 Tollbooth