Re: [O] would take more than an org-mode strip-down.

From: Russell Adams
Subject: Re: [O] would take more than an org-mode strip-down.
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 10:33:07 -0500

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 10:47:31AM -0400, James Levine wrote:
> I?ll go on leap of faith that the email I?ve been provided actually
> contributes to the same thread I emailed to earlier. Please everyone: thank
> you for looking out. This is clearly a thoughtful and supportive community.
> You can not deny, however, that even the design of this forum is but one
> example of how the Emacs community maintains its exclusivity. Own up to it.
> If there?s no problem, then don?t fix it. But for those who are following the
> statements on comparing org-mode to commercial substitutes like Taskpaper and
> see this as an outcome of people making less-informed choices, I hope I can
> keep your attention. Once I know which way to point my eyes, I promise I will
> fall in line. Please take a step back folks, there?s an implied objective
> that I?m making which I?ll state more explicitly:
>
> In order for org-mode to be attractive as an alternative to popular self-help
> like GTD, Covey and the market of task managers both digital and paper that
> exist, this community would need to take all this extensive documentation and
> package it. Do not confuse content with transparency. People don?t even read
> this much before electing their President. Should open-source software not
> concern itself with good bullet points? Does this imply that I?m not
> appreciative of the work?  There?s an opportunity cost with finding the time
> for even this thread, which I?m hoping we can agree should not be a barrier
> of entry for those who are simply interested in trying org-mode. As it
> stands, however, just trying org-mode takes lots of reading if just to
> install correctly. That?s all I?m saying.

Or you can watch a single 30 minute video:

http://vimeo.com/16533939

May be tooting my own horn, but I understand what you're saying. Org
isn't "prepackaged" nor does it come with documentation saying "here's
how you use me to accomplish X". Everyone tends to find their own
style of using the tools Org provides to manage information.

Good luck!

Russell Adams                            address@hidden