Re: [O] permanent LaTeX preview

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] permanent LaTeX preview
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 13:21:38 -0400

Alexander Vorobiev <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to stop rendered (with C-c C-x C-l) formulas from
> reverting back to LaTeX source in case of:
>
> 1. Pressing C-c C-x C-l to render a formula in other part of the
> document. All other formulas revert to LaTeX code in that case.
> 2. Pressing C-c C-c to, for instance, evaluate some babel block. In
> this particular case it looks like I need to reassign the C-c C-c
> keybinding used to remove the images, but I don't know which function
> is called to achieve that.
>
> In the both cases the images get replaced by the LaTeX source. What I
> want is to keep the images at all times, and revert only an image I
> want to edit LaTeX code for.

I don't think either is possible with the current code.

Re. item 1: You can selectively render formulas by limiting the region
to a subtree, so it should be possible to do what you want by adding a
couple of functions and coming up with a decent user interface.

Re. item 2: this is done unconditionally in the function
org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c (in file lisp/org.el) and although I don't know the
reason, there probably is one and it's probably important[fn:1], so you
should proceed with caution. If you want to experiment, I'd suggest you
start by commenting out the >>>>> marked line <<<<< below in
org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c and testing extensively to see what breaks:

,----
| - If the cursor is on a code block, evaluate it.  The variable
|   `org-confirm-babel-evaluate' can be used to control prompting
|   before code block evaluation, by default every code block
|   evaluation requires confirmation.  Code block evaluation can be
|   inhibited by setting `org-babel-no-eval-on-ctrl-c-ctrl-c'."
|   (interactive "P")
|   (let  ((org-enable-table-editor t))
|     (cond
|      ((or (and (boundp 'org-clock-overlays) org-clock-overlays)
|         org-occur-highlights
|         org-latex-fragment-image-overlays)
|       (and (boundp 'org-clock-overlays) (org-clock-remove-overlays))
|       (org-remove-occur-highlights)
|       (message "Temporary highlights/overlays removed from current buffer"))
`----

Cheers,
Nick

Footnotes:

[fn:1] I suspect that it's a necessary precondition for some of the
       *many* things that this function does, but I don't know for sure.