Re: [O] [contacts] No completion in Gnus

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: [O] [contacts] No completion in Gnus
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2011 01:33:36 +0530

Thorsten <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello List,
> I have a org-contacts file with a few contacts with EMAIL property,
> taken from gnus using org-capture as described in the org-contacts
> manual. The contacts are tagged with some tags. But if I try to send an
> email to one of the contacts using completion in message-mode, nothing
> happens. I type + and press <TAB> in the To: header, but to no avail. I
> even restarted Emacs without loading bbdb, since there seemed to be some
> interference, but that didn't help either. I cannot find any more variables to
> connect org-contacts with gnus, so I guess it should work out of the
> box.

(caveat: I have never used org-contacts)

In such cases, typically there is an insinuate function. Yes, there is
one

(org-contacts-gnus-insinuate)

Try adding that to .emacs or eval it.

I also see this snippet of code in org-contacts.el and is done
automatically for you.

(when (boundp 'completion-at-point-functions)
  (add-hook 'message-mode-hook
            (lambda ()
              (add-to-list 'completion-at-point-functions
                           'org-contacts-message-complete-function))))

So while composing the mail, check the value of variable
completion-at-point-functions and make sure you see some org-contacts
related entries there.

Looks like the guts of completion happen in
org-contacts-complete-name. So you can place your cursor on a message
header and try doing

M-: (org-contacts-complete-name)

Hope something interesting will happen.