Re: [O] missing autoload cookies for defcustom?

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] missing autoload cookies for defcustom?
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2011 18:26:19 +0200

> This is not correct for Org when it is distributed with Emacs.  Emacs
> builds its own autoload files, and it would pull in all these defcustoms.

I see, so what about those autoloaded defcustoms org-mode already has
picked up?  Should they not be removed, then?

lisp/ob-tangle.el: (defcustom org-babel-tangle-lang-exts
lisp/org-export-generic.el: (defcustom org-export-generic-links-to-notes t
lisp/org-man.el: (defcustom org-man-command 'man

It seems that this would be a common problem, but I can't find a better
solution.  Something like a special autoload cookie that only triggers
on some other function (or possibly autoload)...

> The work-around Org itself provides is to provide a command to load all
> the autolod files, so that then, the defcustoms will be available.
> The function is `org-require-autoloaded-modules'.  Also, if you
> run `M-x org-customize', this will happen automatically.
>
> Maybe we just need to document this in a good place?

Sure, I certainly didn't know about it - but then it probably still
misses the target audience.

Also, it seems that not all defcustoms are picked up that way: after
switching to the Org customize group via customize-group I only get
about 500 completions for customize-variable, whereas the sources have
over 700.  Calling org-customize manually increases the number of
"known" variables to 679, but still not all of them.

Regards,
Achim.