Re: [O] What do you use to identify projects (in the GTD sense)

From: Daniel Bausch
Subject: Re: [O] What do you use to identify projects (in the GTD sense)
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 08:20:02 +0200

Hi Marcelo,

its nothing special:

* Working Area (the order of these models some kind of global priorization)
  :PROPERTIES:
  :CATEGORY: CAT-A (<- some identifier to be displayed on the left of agenda)
  :END:
** PROJ outcome or project title
*** DONE something done
*** NEXT the next action
*** TODO something currently not actionable (because of dependencies or so)
**** PROJ some subproject
***** ... you get it

Often I prefix the individual action items with short identifiers for the
containing project to give me some context in the agenda.  Instead of
extending the strings it helps to keep them shorter.

For example:
TODO software-x: talk to Fred about the missing requirements
instead of
TODO talk to Fred about the missing requirements of software-x

In english its not very efficient, but in German it can save you a lot of
letters and you have a fixed position to look for the context.  A tag may fit
the same needs but they are located less prominently and I think one needs the
context first.

Daniel