Re: [O] org-agenda-switch-to switches to weird place

From: Antoine Levitt
Subject: Re: [O] org-agenda-switch-to switches to weird place
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 22:24:03 +0200

11/10/11 21:35, Sebastien Vauban
>> If I understand correctly, org-agenda-switch-to goes to the org-marker
>> marker that is set by capture.
>
> No, I absolutely don't think so. Org files are plain text files: what you
> don't see in there, is simply not there. So, how could such markers be stored
> in the Org file, when capturing something, and not be visible?

Via markers, see
http://www.chemie.fu-berlin.de/chemnet/use/info/elisp/elisp_29.html. I
don't know much about it either, I just know it exists :-)

> IIUC, the markers are simply some sort of regexp search to find
> certain typical positions:
>
> - org-marker matches the timestamp which is at the origin of the presence of
>   the entry in the agenda
>
> - org-hd-marker is the beginning of the heading.

That doesn't seem likely. See this (simplified) code from
org-agenda-switch-to:

    (let* ((marker (org-get-at-bol 'org-marker))
           (pos (marker-position marker)))

So apparently there is a marker.

> Do you really modify the title more often than the date? You have luck!
> Because of procrastination, I'd say I much, much more often change the date,
> reprogram the entry at a later date, and so on, and so on.

I change the date directly from the agenda with C-c C-s or S-right. So
when I press RET, it's that I want to edit the title.

> Anyway, would you jump onto the beginning of the heading, just where the `***'
> start, I think you can change the line:
>
>     (org-get-at-bol 'org-marker))
>
> with:
>
>     (org-get-at-bol 'org-hd-marker))
>
> to get another behavior. Now, from that, adding a constant number, or --
> better -- moving forward a couple of times, or -- certainly there are still
> better options -- ... would allow you to land on whichever component of the
> heading.

Right. I can hack something up that'll be specific to my case, I just
wanted to know if there was a proper way to do it that'd benefit everybody.