Re: [O] Org, Diffs, and Version Control

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] Org, Diffs, and Version Control
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 09:25:39 -0600

>> Hints most appreciated,
>
> The main thing I do is use org-indent-mode so indentation is not a
> factor in the diffs.  Everything starts at column 1 and moving things
> around and promoting headlines doesn't change the indent of the items.

I also always start my subtree content at column 1 (I never indent whole
section bodies) and I think this helps promote saner diffs and generally
encourages better Org-mode behavior.

Additionally you could try the --word-diff option to git, i.e.,

  git diff --word-diff

or

  git diff --word-diff=color

which returns diffs which ignore whitespace changes and which show
changes on the word rather than line level.  I believe it is possible to
make this behavior default for a git repository but I've never done so
and don't know how such a default would be specified.

Hope this helps -- Eric

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/