Re: [O] [ANN] BREAKING CHANGE -- removing #+BABEL file-wide property lin

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] [ANN] BREAKING CHANGE -- removing #+BABEL file-wide property lines
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 15:34:40 -0600

Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:

> Eric Schulte <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:

>> > Coming late to the dance - sorry. I think that's very confusing.
>> > "Property" is an overloaded term in org: we now have the :PROPERTIES:
>> > drawer, the #+PROPERTY line and the #+PROPERTIES line (singular and
>> > plural forms are already pretty bad).
>>
>> Do the #+PROPERTY and #+PROPERTIES lines have different semantics?
>
> I think so: see section 7.1 for a use of the former. AFAICT, the latter
> only applies to code block header arguments.

Oh!

Thank you for making this clear, I had assumed that #+PROPERTIES: lines
were an integral part of Org-mode which code block header arguments were
simply making use of.  Having read the section of the info manual you
point out above I see that I was mistaken.  I've just pushed up what I
consider to be a clean implementation.  Put briefly the new behavior is
that "properties may be used to specify header arguments".  More
completely...

1. The #+PROPERTIES: (and #+BABEL:) directives no longer exist.

2. The existing #+PROPERTY: line may now be used to specify values for
   header arguments, e.g.,

   #+PROPERTY: results silent

   would silence all results in the current buffer.

I think this should be simple, easy to remember, and it certainly
cleaned up the code base.  Please let me know what you think of this new
setup.

Thanks -- Eric

--
Eric Schulte