Re: [O] [ANN] BREAKING CHANGE -- removing #+BABEL file-wide property lin

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] [ANN] BREAKING CHANGE -- removing #+BABEL file-wide property lines
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 23:47:51 +0200

Hi Eric,

Eric Schulte wrote:
> Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:
>> Eric Schulte <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> Do the #+PROPERTY and #+PROPERTIES lines have different semantics?
>>
>> I think so: see section 7.1 for a use of the former. AFAICT, the latter
>> only applies to code block header arguments.
>
> Oh!
>
> Thank you for making this clear, I had assumed that #+PROPERTIES: lines
> were an integral part of Org-mode which code block header arguments were
> simply making use of.  Having read the section of the info manual you
> point out above I see that I was mistaken.  I've just pushed up what I
> consider to be a clean implementation.  Put briefly the new behavior is
> that "properties may be used to specify header arguments".  More
> completely...
>
> 1. The #+PROPERTIES: (and #+BABEL:) directives no longer exist.
>
> 2. The existing #+PROPERTY: line may now be used to specify values for
>    header arguments, e.g.,
>
>    #+PROPERTY: results silent
>
>    would silence all results in the current buffer.
>
> I think this should be simple, easy to remember, and it certainly
> cleaned up the code base.  Please let me know what you think of this new
> setup.

I just have one question, as I'm puzzled by the lack of `:' in front of the
"properties": how do we distinguish the argument "value" from the argument
"name"?

For example, how do we translate, in the new syntax,

#+BABEL:    :results output code append

(where `:results' is the "name", and `output', `code' and `append' are
"values")?

Best regards,
  Seb

--