Re: [O] outline-demote incorrectly demotes leaf nodes

From: Michael Brand
Subject: Re: [O] outline-demote incorrectly demotes leaf nodes
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 10:15:24 +0200

Hi Carsten

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 16:40, Carsten Dominik
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Oct 19, 2011, at 5:39 PM, Michael Brand wrote:
>> (define-key org-mode-map [remap outline-promote] 'org-promote-subtree)
>> (define-key org-mode-map [remap outline-demote] 'org-demote-subtree)
>> [...]
>
> Would you like to carefully think about which other functions you
> might want to have remapped ...

I started to go through the functions that are bound in
outline-mode-prefix-map to compare their behavior with that of the Org
equivalents. Now I stumbled upon
outline/org-forward/backward-same-level. All four doc strings state
"Stop at the first and last subheadings of a superior heading", but
the Org ones don't. As I remember, Org "motion on same level" C-c
C-f/b once stopped. Git bisect shows that this had been the case
before the "motion on same level" functionality moved into the new
functions org-forward/backward-same-level with
http://orgmode.org/w/?p=org-mode.git;a=commitdiff;h=0eaf3cce
At that time the (error "No following same-level heading")
disappeared.

I assume that Org mode should still stop as documented and like
Outline mode. If this is true I'd like to ask you if you could help to
resolve this. Of course I tried to do it myself but have to admit that
it would mean too much effort for me to understand what happens before
and after the commit with the three optimization levels that it
implements.

> and then prepare a patch?

I'll add the two new pairs from above and probably some more into a
follow-up to this
http://orgmode.org/w/?p=org-mode.git;a=commitdiff;h=b2632dc4
when I'll be finished with going through outline-mode-prefix-map.

Michael