Re: [O] direct link to mails in gmail

From: Niels Giesen
Subject: Re: [O] direct link to mails in gmail
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 14:36:57 +0200

suvayu ali <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 13:43, Niels Giesen <address@hidden> wrote:
>> suvayu ali <address@hidden> writes:

>>> You can try this:
>>>
>>> https://mail.google.com/mail/h/
>>
>> That link simply visits the HTML-version of gmail, but does not let one
>> select an article via the URL - as far as I know.
>>

> In that case you can try the "Message text garbled?" or "Show original" link.

Ok. This one seems to do the trick to show the original of a single
message:

https://mail.google.com/mail/h/?&v=om&th=MESSAGE-ID

And this one can be used for conversation view:

https://mail.google.com/mail/h/?&v=c&s=l&th=MESSAGE-ID

It seems v=c means view=conversation. But this is not enough by and of
itself, s=l is necessary too, whatever that means. Left out, your Inbox
will be presented.

Summing up, if you want to visit gmails articles without using
JavaScript, you may use this:

#+LINK: gmail https://mail.google.com/mail/h/?&v=c&s=l&th=
for HTML-only browsers/settings or
#+LINK: gmail https://mail.google.com/mail/?shva=1#all/
for JS-enabled browsers

or something like

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (org-add-link-type
   "gmail"
   (lambda (link)
     (browse-url
      ;; or "https://mail.google.com/mail/?shva=1#all/"; for js-browser
      (concat "https://mail.google.com/mail/h/?&v=c&s=l&th="; link))))
#+end_src

to have the link type globally.

Then use this in an Org file:

[[gmail:1331f3490dff1205][conversation about gmail links]]

This way, if Google decides to change it's url structure, all you have
to do is redefine your link type, instead of all email links.

--
http://pft.github.com/