Re: [O] [RFC] Standardized code block keywords

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Standardized code block keywords
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 06:09:01 -1000

Daniel Bausch <address@hidden> writes:

>> > well, I guess it is good that this discussion has begun if only to clear
>> > up this lingering uncertainty.

>> > from the prospective of code blocks it is exactly synonymous with
>> > tblname.  Srcname is different in that it labels code blocks.

>> > agreed, I'm thinking that tblname will at least remain an option no
>> > matter what decision is made.

>> > Agreed, I was not aware of this work.  Thanks for sharing.  In this vein
>> > I would like to voice my desire to be able to add captions to code
>> > blocks, the lack of this feature has bitten me in the past.
>>
>> Hi Eric,
>>
>> For LaTeX export, the listings package has support for code block
>> captions.
>
> Not in org AFAIK, org only supports these for my use cases not very useful
> "function name = " exports.  I patched org to produce real captions instead,
> but my changes are not that well tested and required some changes in the
> central export logic.  If there is interest I could share what I have so far.
>
> The code quality is a mess, as I do not really know elisp.
>
> Daniel

Yes, source code block captions currently have to be handled outside the
usual Org-mode mechanism.  If you use org-special-blocks and the
listings package, then the following template will give you floating
code block listings with captions in LaTeX export.

 : #+BEGIN_listing
 :  <source block>
 : #+LATEX: \caption[The short caption]{The long caption.}\ref{fig:src_blk}
 : #+END_listing

This doesn't do anything for export to other formats, but it works well
for LaTeX export.  There is even \listoflistings command to produce a
list of source code listings in the front matter.

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye