Re: [O] [RFC] Standardized code block keywords

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Standardized code block keywords
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 20:17:58 -1000

Daniel Bausch <address@hidden> writes:

>> > However, I'd like to ask, what happens, if one refers to a
>> > name of a source block where data is expected, does it then refer to
>> > the results produced by that source block?  How are such situations
>> > handeled at the moment?
>>
>> Try it out, but be ready to press C-g, because I would guess that it
>> results in an infinite loop.
>
> Isn't it possible to refer to the results of a code block as input data for
> another?  I thought it was.  If not currently then at least I suppose that it
> will be in the future.  The new syntax should be ready for that.
>
> Daniel

Aloha Daniel,

Yes, it is already possible to refer to named :results as input data for
another source code block.  This is an important feature that makes it
possible to record intermediate results in the Org-mode file.

Also, passing the name of one source code block to a variable of another
source code block is called chaining.  This is an important feature that
makes it possible to do part of a computation in one language and then
another part in a different language, without having to write out
intermediate results.  AFAIK, there is no limit to this chaining
behavior.

I haven't run into an infinite loop doing either of these things,
perhaps because I've not written a source code block that refers to its
own results?

hth,
Tom

--