Re: [O] Suddenly, my timestamps get localized!

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] Suddenly, my timestamps get localized!
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 09:46:15 +0200

Hi Tassilo,

> Tassilo Horn wrote:

>>> Found in my .emacs:
>>>
>>> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>>>       ;; system locale to use for formatting time values (e.g., timestamps
>>> in
>>>       ;; Org mode files)
>>>       (setq system-time-locale "C")
>>>       ;; "en_US.utf8" did not work for the weekday in the agenda!
>>> #+end_src
>>
>> Ok, that does the trick.  It was nil before.
>> And
>>
>>   (setq system-time-locale (getenv "LANG"))
>>
>> resulting in "en_US.utf8" seems to work as well.  What did not work for
>> you in the agenda?
>
> When I wrote (months ago) "did not work", I meant: I got French weekdays in my
> agenda ("Lun." for Monday, "Mar.", "Mer.", etc. -- even on 4 characters).
>
> I could retry... but I don't have UTF8 specified in my LANG var. I should do
> add it, I guess.

Just to confirm:

   (setq system-time-locale (getenv "en_US.utf8"))

in my .emacs is not working for me: I get French timestamps (I mean: weekday
abbreviations) in Org (on `C-c .', for example).

Setting it back, on-the-fly (with `C-x C-e') to "C" works: I get English
timestamps.

Though, setting it back once again to "en_US.utf8" works as well: I now still
get English timestamps!?

That seems to indicate that setting that var before Org or after Org doesn't
provide me with the same view. I say Org, but maybe it's before or after
another one. Should be investigated, but not that clear anymore...

> PS- I'm on Windows XP, with a win32 binary from FSF.

(and Cygwin for the subshell, but Emacs is not launched from it).

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban