Re: [O] "git describe" in version of info file with "make info_git_descr

From: Michael Brand
Subject: Re: [O] "git describe" in version of info file with "make info_git_describe"
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 20:24:51 +0200

Hi Achim

Thank you for your review.

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 18:56, Achim Gratz <address@hidden> wrote:
> The set-version.pl file may be obsolete (perl is still required),

If set-version.pl would be obsolete my patch would be much shorter and I would use something even more portable than perl to change the version in /tmp/org.texi like the POSIX/SUS ed command, used inline in the Makefile. Would you agree?

> there is no version number in the individual lisp files anymore. For
> installation I've already added a replacement of the version cookie in
> org.el with git-describe in my own fork of org-mode ([1] - I don't know if
> you've checked it).  It would be easy to do the same for org-texi,
> albeit before compilation, not only during install.

I can remember some discussion but haven't realized that the outcome is a pending merge. Hence I declare version 2 of my patch as "Changes Requested" on patchwork (can't change this myself) and will rebase it against your changes.

> I agree it would be useful to have the full version recorded in the
> resulting manual, but you really cannot alter the source file (git
> status would always be dirty or the version would be wrong, wouldn't it?
> :-).

Yes, good point. I was aware of that and therefore for the target "info-vg", doc/org.texi is copied to /tmp/org.texi, altered only there and makeinfo reads from there.

And I _added_ the target "info-vg" because implementing the same functionality in the target "info" itself, by either adding an auto-detect whether git describe is available (like org-version does) or using org-version itself, is not an option. One still needs to have the unchanged target "info" to build a release with the info version not possibly influenced by git describe.

Michael