Re: [O] OT: collage of scripts [was: Re: table alignment failed for Asia

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: [O] OT: collage of scripts [was: Re: table alignment failed for Asian characters]
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 12:11:25 +0530

> Jambunathan's mention of Tamil brought to mind a picture that
> I had seen long ago and found mysterious, beautiful and fascinating.
> It is Fig. 40, p. 168, in Hofstadter's "Gödel, Escher, Bach": I looked
> for a copy on the web, but I only found the complete book.
>
> The picture is a collage of scripts, from the undeciphered (at least
> in 1980, the time of publication) script of Easter Island to Tamil
> to Assyrian cuneiform.

Book seems like an interesting read. For me to go from frame message ->
outer message -> inner message, I think I need to read the whole book
and not just a fragment of it :-)

Just curious, is the book a standard regular or supplementary reading
for courses in US. If yes, courses here could improve a lot. Such
readings will make CS/Mathematics fun, fascinating and mysterious.