Re: [O] Makefile restructuring

From: Michael Brand
Subject: Re: [O] Makefile restructuring
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 13:22:50 +0200

Hi Achim

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 12:00, Achim Gratz <address@hidden> wrote:
> As discussed in another thread, the version from git-describe is now
> also recorded into the info documentation.
see here for the thread:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2011-06/msg00054.html

I have looked into your branch only now. I think it is uncommon for
Makefiles how clean they look now and I appreciate how the Makefile
has been split up plus one is in doc/ and one in lisp/, that there are
no explicit xy.el any more and so on. Thank you for this work.

Some comments:

There is no @value{DATE}, missing already on master. Would it be ok to
remove setting the DATE or to include it in org.texi like the commit
message subject anticipates? In the latter case it could be labeled
"build date" and optionally when available be enriched with "release
date", looked up from the git tag when make is running in a git repo
not dirty and if git is installed. Maybe "release date" could also
become visible in org-version when running from .el in a git repo not
dirty and if git is installed or when running from .elc built with the
same git requirement. Both would help users to be aware of how
outdated their version is and more. These are only suggestions, else
I'm fine with removing DATE.

I would prefer the file/target name variables.texi instead of
git-describe.texi as git describe is not necessarily involved and must
not be a requirement.

Did you check this?:
- make info when not in a git repo
- make info when in a git repo but git is not installed
In case the errors are confirmed: My guess is that again you have a
better solution than me and I don't propose a patch yet. (org-version)
uses (file-exists-p (expand-file-name ".git" dir)) and
(executable-find "git") for this.

The default make target has been changed from "all" to "targets help".
Is this standard? I assume that you considered that this can break the
target "org-mode" of some upper level Makefile from users (and
Emacs?).

Michael