Re: [O] [ANN] BREAKING CHANGE -- removing #+BABEL file-wide property lin

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: Re: [O] [ANN] BREAKING CHANGE -- removing #+BABEL file-wide property lines
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 15:18:35 +0100

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 1:57 PM, Brian Wightman <address@hidden> wrote:
On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 10:17 AM, Eric Schulte <address@hidden> wrote:
> This is also after all the development repository, and while I do try
> very hard never to break this head of this repository at the same time I
> think it is an acceptable place to try out new functionality.

Given that a common recommendation for a bug fix is to 'try commit
blah blah blah', would it make sense to have bug fixes go onto a
'maint' branch (as well as master), and new features / changed
features stay on the master branch?  At the time when 'master' is
ready for a new official release, it could then be merged into 'maint'
to create the next stable point for bug fixes.

Adding features on the same branch as bug fixes, when 'official
releases' are not made frequently seems to be a formula for
frustration.

Added features are not that much of a problem, but changes which affect backward compatibility are. But there were not many in the past that I am aware of.

Cheers,

Rainer

Thoughts?

Brian