Re: [O] About commit named "Allow multi-line properties to be specified

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: Re: [O] About commit named "Allow multi-line properties to be specified in property blocks"
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 09:02:43 +0100

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 9:23 PM, Eric Schulte <address@hidden> wrote:
One more idea that has occurred to me, it should give all of the
functionality which we desire (i.e., the ability for a property value to
span multiple lines and to be accumulated at the subtree level), and it
should require *no* new syntax.  The only problem is it puts a
limitation on possible property names -- namely that they can not end
with the + character.

The proposal is, when a property name ends in +, the value is appended
to the corresponding property, rather than replacing it, so

 #+PROPERTY: var   foo=1
 #+PROPERTY: var   bar=2

results in '(("var" . "bar=2"))

 #+PROPERTY: var    foo=1
 #+PROPERTY: var+ , bar=2

results in '(("var" . "foo=1, bar=2"))

This way subtree properties could be used as well, e.g.,

 #+PROPERTY: var foo=1

 * subtree
   :PROPERTIES:
   :var+: bar=2
   :CUSTOM_ID: something
   :END:

Just another thought.

I like that suggestion - it is clear, easy to understand, gives other advantages (you can "unset" variables in a subtree - which would be an added bonus) and does not require any large changes in org files.

This suggestion would get my vote.

Cheers,

Rainer

Best -- Eric