Re: [O] [bug] Org link dialog escapes URL spaces incorrectly

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] [bug] Org link dialog escapes URL spaces incorrectly
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2011 14:19:20 -0400

Brian Wightman <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 11:52 AM, Nick Dokos <address@hidden> wrote:
> > probably not a problem, since unescaping should be idempotent (in contrast
> > escaping ;-) ) but why do it twice?
>
> I am not sure I am reading this correctly - I am reading this as
> unescaping a url-encoded twice should give the same results as
> unescaping the same url-encoded string once.  If that is what you are
> saying, I would disagree.  Taking a string similar to the one provided
> originally:
>
> Did%2520France%2520Cause%2520the%2520Great%2520Depression.pdf
>
> would be unescaped as
>
> Did%20France%20Cause%20the%20Great%20Depression.pdf
>
> and a second unescape would generate
>
> Did France Cause the Great Depression.pdf
>
> Hopefully, I am just reading your statement wrong :-)

Nope - you read it right and it (the statement, not the reading)
is wrong.

But I'm not sure what the implications to the code are: do we
have to unescape repeatedly until there are no more % signs
in there? Then the final call to org-make-link-string would
do one escaping pass and that would be that?

My URL fu is weak. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick