Re: [O] Journal versus clock tables: Opposing requirements?

From: Tommy Kelly
Subject: Re: [O] Journal versus clock tables: Opposing requirements?
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 08:06:47 +0000

> ... it depends on how often you require this weekly report...

Ermm, weekly :-)

> It should be possible to write code that walks your agenda, visits the
> tasks, and copies and pastes the details to a temporary org buffer/file
> just for your chronological report.

Absolutely. But as I've been thinking about this, I'm realizing that
in fact a key input requirement (as opposed to my two output
requirements -- chronology plus clock tables) is ease of entry. As I
begin some new chunk of work, I don't want to have to hunt around for
the most appropriate heading to clock into and begin writing notes
under. As a result, what's happening is two things. First, I'm just
falling back on your single "Organization" catch-all task; second, I'm
not writing *any* notes.

With a chronological journal, there's no decision to be made. You just
start logging at the end (or start) of the journal. But maybe
something in the org-capture area is what I need. I've tried it before
and didn't get very far, but I'll have another look.

thanks,
Tommy