[O] OT: logging debian system changes (was: Re: org-mode are these two e

From: Olaf Dietsche
Subject: [O] OT: logging debian system changes (was: Re: org-mode are these two entries identical for org-mode?)
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2011 11:16:48 +0100

Jude DaShiell <address@hidden> writes:

> I tried an experiment and am glad I didn't save its results!  Results
> are that you actually have to indent otherwise, all you have in the file
> are the headlines once org-mode sees the file.  I have a newly installed
> debian system on the first sata drive I used and I'm using org-mode to
> log the  extras I install on the system as well as configuration changes
> I make as they happen.

I don't want to argue you out of org-mode. ;-)

But for logging additional packages, you might look at tasksel(8). If
you create a description file of your packages, you can use this with
tasksel, when you set up a new system.
e.g. /usr/local/share/tasksel/local.desc:

Task: kids
Section: user
 Applications for kids.
Packages: list
 gcompris
 tuxpaint

Task: development
Section: user
 Tools needed for software development.
Packages: list
 emacs23
 emacs23-common-non-dfsg
 bbdb
 emacs-goodies-el
 yasnippet
 git
 gcc
 g++
 gdb
 gdb-doc

Task: net
Section: user
 Packages for networking and internet.
Packages: list
 xul-ext-noscript
 xul-ext-cookie-monster
 dovecot-imapd
 fetchmail

And logging configuration changes could be done with git(1). If you
checkin the base configuration in /etc, /var/lib/... you can always see changes
you made with "git status" and "git diff".

> On Mon, 7 Nov 2011, Jude DaShiell wrote:
>
>> * aptitude install emacs -r
>>   get emacs text editor.
>> * aptitude install emacs -r
>> get emacs text editor.