Re: [O] About commit named "Allow multi-line properties to be specified

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] About commit named "Allow multi-line properties to be specified in property blocks"
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 09:12:09 -0700

Rainer M Krug <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 11:53 PM, Eric Schulte <address@hidden>wrote:
>
>> > Perhaps inserting an assumed space separator would be more intuitive?
>> > If we were to go that way it may be possible to allow variable
>> > specifications such as
>> >
>> > #+PROPERTY: var foo=1 bar=2
>> >
>> > in which case properties could be easily specified on multiple lines
>> > using a default space separator.
>> >
>> > If this seems like a good way to go I can try to update my previous
>> > patch.
>> >

>> I've updated the patch, the newest version is attached.  It results in
>> the following behavior.
>>

> Looks good to me - that leaves just the question, what would hppen when
> doing the following:
>
> #+property: var  foo=1
> #+property: var+ 2

The above is equivalent to,

#+header: :var foo=1 2

which due to interaction with some logic put in place to allow the
specification of un-named variables in call lines results in the
following.

#+property: var  foo=1
#+property: var+ 2

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  foo
#+end_src

#+results:
: 2

#+begin_src emacs-lisp :var bar=1 2
  bar
#+end_src

#+results:
: 2

Although generally I would say that both

#+header: :var foo=1 2

and

#+property: var  foo=1
#+property: var+ 2

are mal-formed variable assignments.

> and
>
> #+property: var  foo="Hello "
> #+property: var+ "world"

This is exactly analogous to

#+header: :var foo="hello" "world"

which raises the expected error
  ``variable ""world"" must be assigned a default value''

the following alternative however works as expected

#+property: var  foo="Hello
#+property: var+ world"

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  foo
#+end_src

#+results:
: Hello world

Thanks for these examples, the later did brought to light a small
quoting issue which is fixed in the new attached patch.

Best -- Eric

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/