Re: [O] Getting rid of split frame with org-capture

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Getting rid of split frame with org-capture
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 12:57:21 -0500

Tom Prince <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 23:13:11 -0500, Nick Dokos <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Not worth the bother IMO[fn:1], but if you wish to implement it and submit
> > a patch, I'd be happy to review it.
> >
> > Nick
> >
> > Footnotes:
> >
> > [fn:1] Remember, capture is supposed to be as unobtrusive as possible:
> >        you just want to squirrel away something for future
> >        reference. Bells and whistles (which, IMO, this change would be)
> >        are not the point: you want to get in, record the data and get
> >        out and back to work as fast as possible. Popping up frames slows
> >        things down but more importantly jolts you away from what you
> >        were doing. At least, it would me (I think): that's why I don't
> >        think it's worth it, but you may very well disagree.
>
> It isn't worth *if* capture is invoked from emacs. If capture is invoked
> from org-protocol in firefox, then there might not even be a emacs frame
> visible.

<OT rant>

org-protocol is below my horizon :-) I had gotten it working a long time
ago, then something happened in ff and broke it, I fixed it, they broke
it again and at some point I gave up: every time I had to fix it, I had
to go back and relearn everything (it's not as if I live and breathe ff
arcana) and do a few hours' worth of research and then try a few dozen
times, tweaking this and that because all the instructions were either
outdated or inconsistent - if "they" are not respectful enough of the
thousands of people that used the feature that they broke and not
cognizant of the pain they produce, I will not use their damn
feature. Similar remarks apply to the "improvements" of Unity and Gnome
3: a plague a' both their houses. All I need the damn desktop to do is
open emacs when I click on the icon and give me enough workspaces for my
needs (which vary). I'd rather do cut-n-paste than waste another second
on org-protocol (mind you, it's not org-protocol's problem: it's the
other side that breaks - but without the other side, org-protocol is
almost useless).

Ah, I feel better now...

</OT rant>

> 1) If I don't pass -c to emacsclient, then I need to search all my
>    workspaces to find where emacs decided to put the capture frame
> 2) If I pass do pass -c to emacsclient, then I need to close the frame
>    afterwards. And more significantly, I need to close the empty frame
>    when I use store-link instead. (I could work around this by using
>    seperate protocols for for each)

Sounds like a worthwhile thing to fix - patches would probably be welcome.

Nick