Re: [O] BABEL --> PROPERTY?

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] BABEL --> PROPERTY?
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 10:02:56 +0100

Hi Nick,

Nick Dokos wrote:
> Sebastien Vauban <address@hidden> wrote:

>> > Interesting.  This is a digression, but in my version of Emacs (23.2.1,
>> > linux, 64-bit) if I try to copy a long line -- one that extends beyond the
>> > border of the window -- by doing, say:
>> >
>> >     C-a C-<SPACE> C-e M-w
>> >
>> > I don't get the whole line.  The copied text doesn't stop at the visible
>> > border of the window, but neither does it get all the way to the end of the
>> > line.
>>
>> Following up your digression...
>>
>> I've seen the same funny root problem when doing `C-e' on long lines on my
>> Windows Emacs (23.3, I think -- I run different versions at different
>> moments).
>>
>> Indeed, `C-e' sometimes does go further than the visible screen limit, but
>> doesn't land at the end of the physical line. I thought it could be something
>> in my (very) long .emacs file. Thanks for showing me it's not my config
>> that's
>> in cause!
>
> C-e is bound to org-end-of-line which does the stutter step when you
> have a wide buffer in a narrow window: it stops at the first previously
> invisible character[fn:1]. If you have a very wide screen (e.g. a table
> with a hundred columns or something like that) it might take a few steps
> before you get to the end of the line.
>
> But the main reason for org-end-of-line's existence is its behavior on
> headlines (and the setting of org-special-ctrl-a/e is very relevant).
> C-h f org-end-of-line RET and C-h v org-special-ctrl-a/e RET make
> for enlightening reading.
>
> Nick
>
> Footnotes:
>
> [fn:1] well, it's invisible if truncate-lines is t - part of the problem
> of describing the bahavior is the settings of all these flags. Tables look
> ugly if wrapped, so you probably want truncate-lines set to t anyway.

I was aware of `org-special-ctrl-a/e' (not set in my config) to let `C-a' and
`C-e' behave specially in headlines and items, but I was not aware that --
when not special -- `C-e' still behaved differently from the standard
`end-of-line'. I've now bound them back to the standard functions.

Thanks...

Best regards,
  Seb

--